Updated: August 25, 2017
The big Mayweather Mcgregor fight is tomorrow night, August 26, 2017 and the pundits are out in force, bettors are getting ready to start placing bets, sportsbook volumes are going through the roof, linesmakers are bending a knee hoping that Mcgregor doesn’t flatten Mayweather in the first 4 rounds.
Should Mcgregor in fact take Mayweather out, the sportsbook losses would be astronomical, many smaller books would close up shop and bettors could be left out in the cold.
Everything You Need to Know About The Mayweather Mcgregor Fight August 26, 2017
Trusted Sportsbooks to Bet on Mayweather vs. McGregor
There are a few solid sportsbooks large (and smart) enough to trust with your fight line wagers, I’ll start with my top picks:
MyBookie.ag is my newest favorite. I’ve spoken to them numerous times on the phone, their a solid group with great account management and quick payouts. Give MyBookie a shot for your first Mayweather vs Mcgregor wager.
The MyBookie team also has a great breakdown of the fight for even the most cynical of bettors including:
Here’s my original take on this fight from back in June 2017:
So this is the super-fight for 2017?
Floyd Mayweather versus Conor Mcgregor?
Did I miss the memo or is the largest steaming pile of crap announcement in the world of boxing and mixed martial arts ever?
My favorite part: was Dana White explaining why this is the greatest idea ever?
I’m not only one who thinks this is horseshit. Whatever you may think of our pals over at Deadspin they also agree: The McGregor-Mayweather Fight Will Be Dumb As Dogshit.
Now you may think I’m wrong (I’m not) but I’ve got some good solid reasons justify why this is the stupidest idea ever:
- Mayweather is a boxer. Mcgregor is an excellent MMA fighter and a shit boxer against arguably one of the best boxers of all time.
- Even if disagree about Mayweather’s GOAT status, you have to agree he’s right up there and a hell of a lot better than Mcgregor in a real boxing match.
- MMA fighters are shitty boxers and Macgregor has been able to attack with his long reach and aggressive style. Against shitty boxers.
- The longest fight McGregor has been in during his 24-fight MMA career went five rounds. Mayweather is a defensive master and is known for wearing down his opponents not knocking them out.
- Even though Mayweather is 40, he’s a defensive boxer and knows how to pace a boxing match to wear down his opponent.
- This is far less about the fight than about the piles of money being thrown at both Mcgregor and Mayweather. It’s a stunt and it’s going to generate a shit tons of cash and yes, that is the technical term – shit tons.
- Sports bettors and online bookies are flocking to jump on the Mayweather vs Mcgregor odds bandwagon. Hell, why wouldn’t you want to make a pile of cash off of millions of stupid fans who don’t understand a damned thing about betting. Early reports have 80% of bets placed are being placed on Mcgregor. That’s mainly because of the phat +800 underdog odds being given to Mcgregor. Sounds great until you realize Mcgregor is not winning this fight.
- This fight isn’t about boxing. This fight isn’t about the sport. This fight is a spectacle that will serve one purpose and one purpose only: money. That makes for shitty sport.
- Mcgregor is used to wearing 4 ounce gloves as opposed to the 8 ounce gloves Mayweather is used to. The 4-oz glove has less padding which means greater impact whereas the padding in the boxing glove tends to absorb at least some of the power. Mcgregors furious fists may in fact be landing like pillows, when they land.
- Boxing gloves give more reach, a couple of inches more reach in fact. Mcgregor who is accustomed to remaining safely outside an opponent’s reach will now find himself within striking range of Mayweathers boxing glove.
- Boxing gloves are heavier. Mcgregor is going to have to learn to relax his shoulders and change his stance to be effective over 12 rounds. Which is fine over time but he’s fighting one of the best boxers in the history of the sport. ‘Nuff Said.
- In mixed martial arts, strikes can come from 8 general areas: 2 hands, 2 legs/feet, 2 knees, and 2 elbows. In addition, areas of attack include the head, the torso, the legs, and the feet. Not so much in boxing. Mcgregor is going to be highly limited.
- This article goes into detail on Floyd Mayweathers training routine. Hour after hour after hour of hitting mitts, hitting the heavy bag, hitting the body shield, and shadowboxing. Round after round, after round, for 32 rounds. Conor Mcgregor has spent all of his years splitting his skills and training. See where I’m going with this?
- Mcgregor simply will not be able to last more than 5 rounds against Mayweather. Granted mayweather wouldn’t last more than 4 minutes in the octagon against Mcgregor. But this isn’t a MMA fight is it. PS. If you’re going to bet on this match take Mayweather on the Under as long as it’s more than 5 rounds.
At the end of the day this isn’t really a fight.
Like many of the real pros, not just bloggers with opinions like me, I’m thinking this fight is going to be boring as shit, completely underwhelming and suck.
Mayweather is an asshole but has been an entertaining asshole over the years.
God knows the guy has money and talent who likes to throw down a few amazing bets once in a while so there’s something there.
Mcgregor has been mildly entertaining in his personal life. Who doesn’t like a champion who sleeps in a treehouse after partying? He’s also been fun to watch in the octagon.
He’s jumping on a $75 million dollar pillow thrown at him by Dana White and I can’t say I blame him in the least.
Would you turn down $75,000,000 based on principle? I know I wouldn’t.
Both of these guys are going to be wrapping their careers soon and thinking in the long term they’ll need the money. Especially considering the ridiculous lifestyles they lead.
Like they said during Watergate: follow the money. Don’t bother figuring out the mechanics of this boxing match. It’s really not about boxing (or MMA) at all.