August 1st marks the Non-Waiver Trade Deadline for MLB teams to exchange players. There’s been a ton of wheeling and dealing as the clock ticked away towards the trade deadline. Some big deals went through while other big possible deals failed to materialize. Let’s dig into the trades.
2016 MLB Trade Deadline Deals
This is what went on today before the closing deadline limit for the 2016 MLB Trade:
- San Francisco Giants acquire starting LH pitcher Matt Moore from Tampa Bay Rays for Matt Duffy. In exchange the Rays would get receiver third baseman Matt Duffy, and minor leaguers Lucius Fox and Michael Santos. Jake Peavy or Matt Cain expected to be released.
- The LA Dodgers acquired Reddick and Hill from the Oakland A´s for three prospects: RHP Jharel Cotton, RHP Frankie Montas and RHP Grant Holmes.
- The NY Yankees traded Ivan Nova to Pittsburgh Pirates for two players to be named later. They also traded right fielder Carlos Beltran to the Rangers for 22-year-old RHP Dillon Tate and RH reliever Erik Swanson and RH starting pitcher Nick Green.
- The Pittsburgh Pirates acquired LHP Antonio Bastardo from the NY Mets for LHP Jonathon Niese.
- The New York Mets also acquired outfielder Jay Bruce from the Cincinnati Reds for infielder Dilson Herrera and minor league LH Max Wotell.
- The Toronto Blue Jays acquired RH Mike Bolsinger from LA Dodgers for RH Jesse Chavez and cash. Also LHP Francisco Liriano from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for RH Drew Hutchison, eventhough they had their eyes set on Rich Hill. Two prospects are also involved in the Pirates deal, but the names can not be confirmed before Pittsburgh contacts everyone involved. Another acquisition by the Jays was RHP Scott Feldman from the Houston Astros in exchange for pitching prospect Guadalupe Chavez.
- The Houston Astros also acquired Cuban minor league infielder/outfielder Yordan Alvarez from the Dodgers in exchange for RHP Josh Fields.
- The Chicago Cubs acquired RH Joe Smith from the LA Angels and sent minor league RH Jesus Castillo to the Angels on Monday. Chicago recently acquired closer Aroldis Chapman from the Yankees and reliever Mike Montgomery from Seattle.
- The Baltimore Orioles reacquired infielder-outfielder Steve Pearce from Tampa Bay and sent the Rays minor league catcher Jonah Heim.
- The Texas Rangers acquired catcher Jonathan Lucroy and closer Jeremy Jeffress from the Milwaukee Brewers in a trade for outfielder Lewis Brinson and RH Luis Ortiz.
- The Cleveland Indians acquired outfielder Brandon Guyer from Tampa Bay for minor leaguers outfielder Nathan Lukes and RH Jhonleider Salinas.
- The Boston Red Sox acquired LH reliever Fernando Abad from the Minnesota Twins for minor league pitcher Pat Light.
With all the team changes the MLB placed a trivia of can you match the player to the new team. When placing your bet check the pitcher most probably you will find some heavy changes in rosters.
Reminder: The August 1st, Non-Waiver 2016 MLB Trade Deadline does not mean the end of trades. Teams can trade through waivers after the deadline.